You want to have a look at the R Spatial Task View for starters...

GML files can be read by the rgdal package's readOGR function. But be
warned.... GML is a complex beast.

For example, I downloaded canvec_gml_AB_EN.zip from that site, it unzips to
a GML (and an xsd) with a lot of layers, some of which aren't spatial.

Using the ogrinfo command line tool from the gdal library I can see the
layers:

$ ogrinfo -so AB_EN.gml
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `AB_EN.gml'
      using driver `GML' successful.
1: d_y_n (None)
2: d_y_n00 (None)
3: d_y_n01 (None)
4: d_y_n02 (None)
5: d_y_n03 (None)
6: d_y_n04 (None)
7: d_y_n05 (None)
8: d_y_n06 (None)
[etc etc]
191: d_y166 (None)
192: d_y167 (None)
193: EN_1360049_0 (Multi Point)
194: EN_1360059_2 (Multi Polygon)
195: EN_1360049_2 (Multi Polygon)
196: EN_1340009_0 (Multi Point)
197: EN_1360059_0 (Multi Point)
198: EN_2170009_0 (Multi Point)
199: EN_1120009_1 (Multi Line String)
200: EN_1180009_1 (Multi Line String)

So thats 192 non-spatial layers and a bunch of points n lines n polygons
layers. Let's read one:

m = readOGR("./AB_EN.gml","EN_1360059_2")
plot(m)

 makes a map. Its a bunch of very small polygons, hard to see really!

Further questions will be welcome at the R-sig-geo mailing list, where we
whine about file formats on a daily basis.

Barry