> both

  workshop gender q1 q2 q3 q4

1        1      f  1  1  5  1

2        2      f  2  1  4  1

3        1      f  2  2  4  3

5        1      m  4  5  2  4

6        2      m  5  4  5  5

8        2      m  4  5  5  5

Next I changed the objects males and females so they had different numbers
of variables and used rbind again and got an error which I expected.

> both <- rbind(females, males)

Error in rbind(deparse.level, ...) :

  numbers of columns of arguments do not match

Next I attached the 'reshape' library and tried to use rbind.fill but as the
code below shows, it does NOT work.   The library seems to load ok (no error
message) and appears in the list when I use the library() command.

> library("reshape")

> both <- rbind.fill(females, males)

Error: could not find function "rbind.fill"

The book I'm following does this the same way and it works for them.   I've
re-downloaded and installed the reshape package but to no avail.  Not sure
what to do.  Can't find an answer in help.  I'm a brand new R user.   Any
suggestions what I'm doing wrong?   Thanks!