I just managed to write things just fine, and then I recalled that I had a similar problem when teaching our students SPSS (Yes, I know, don't ask...), but the problem was effectively this: If a given file was open in Excel, then that file was locked and no other program could use it until you close the file in Excel. So is perhaps a file called data1.csv already in existence and open in Excel when you try this?

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College