On 16/02/2015 07:49, PIKAL Petr wrote:
Hi Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Newmiller [mailto:jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:56 PM
To: PIKAL Petr; r-help@r-project.org
Cc: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: RE: [R] problems with packages installation

I agree that the PG muddies the water a bit on this topic. However, the
web page from which you downloaded the patched version warns:

"This is not an official release of R. Please check bugs in this
version against the official release before reporting them."

When a new version is under  development, the number of bugs often
increases temporarily by quite a bit. Any use you make of a patched or
development version is at your own risk, and should be undertaken for
two reasons only: to address a  specific problem you are having with
the released version, or because you want to help test the unreleased
version out of the goodness of your heart (bless you). In either case,

Yes, that is why I use devel versions but I was not able to find a bug (yet).

chatter about bugs you encounter that are not in the released version
belongs on R-devel.

It was hard to tell what is the problem. It could be that our IT people
silently changed a firewall or something, which would prevent package
installation from menu. Far too often I am not able to open some web pages e.g.
change it.

However it seems to be that this particular problem is in R menu procedure for
installation as I wrote in my previous mail.

If you can reproduce the problem in a released version, posting on R-
help would be more appropriate, but if you are sure it is a bug then
filling a report is the right thing to do.

It is hard to reproduce and I believe that the problem is probably already
known by R core (I thank them for their marvellous work).

AFAIK it was already fixed in R-devel at the time of posting.

R-devel is 'under development', and at least until it reaches 'alpha' status the R-devel list is the place to report problems (if they persist for a few days and after checking with the current version).

For me it is solved by install.packages function.

Actually that is what the menu calls. The difference is the arguments you used (an explicit package rather than NULL for a menu).

Thanks

Best regards
Petr

--