I am cross-posting this to r-sig-fedora (I hope that's not an egregious sin) in the hope that doing so might provide some source of insight.

I tried

    sudo yum install zlib

and was told

Package zlib-1.2.5-7.fc17.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Likewise for "zlib-devel".

I also tried

    sudo yum install bzlib

and was told

No package bzlib available.

Likewise for "bzlib-devel".

Finally I sort of got some joy with "lzma" and "lzma-devel" --- both of those yielded an actual installation. But it didn't help.

I re-did the configure and then the make and got the same errors/complaints about undefined references to deflate, inflate, crc32, etc.

Can anyone provide any guidance/suggestions about what else I could try?
I'm getting very frustrated! :-)

cheers,

Rolf Turner