As a speaker of the dialect of British English current in southern England I think:

1 - the generic term for all three is brackets. As a child I was taught the precedence rules for arithmetic operators by the mnemonic BODMAS (the O stands for 'of') 2 - careful speakers of the dialect who know all three use exactly the terms used in the canton of Zuerich by Martin as he uses them 3 - I would use square brackets and curly brackets to a non-technical audience but I could not bring myself to say round brackets

On 16/12/2015 15:34, Hadley Wickham wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Martin Maechler
<maech...@stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

    [............]

     > You are missing the closing bracket on the boxplot()
     > command.  Just finish with a ')'

Hmm... I once learned

  '()' =: parenthesis/es
  '[]' =: bracket(s)
  '{}' =: brace(s)

Of course, I'm not a native English speaker, and my teacher(s) /
teaching material may have been biased ... but, as all three
symbol pairs play an important role in R, I think it would be
really really helpful,  if we could agree on using the same
precise English here.

I'm happy to re-learn, but I'd really like to end up with three
different simple English words, if possible.
(Yes, I know and have seen/heard "curly braces", "round
  parentheses", ... but I'd hope we can do without the extra adjective.)

I think this is what Americans are taught, but I can never remember
which is which. I use round brackets, square brackets, and squiggly
brackets, which are memorable, and even if you're not familiar with
the terms you can easily understand what I mean.

Hadley

--
Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html