Hello,

I�ve tried several times to learn R, but have never gotten past a particular
gate.  My data are organized by column in Excel, with column headers in the
first row.  The columns are of unequal lengths.  I export them as CSV, then
import the CSV file into R.  I wish to summarize the data by column.  R inserts
NA for missing values, then refuses to operate on columns with NA.  R is
importing my data into a data frame, and I realize that is inappropriate for
what I want to do.

How can I import my data so that I can work on columns of unequal length?  The
first thing I would like to do is generate a table containing mean, median,
mode, standard deviation, min, max and count, all per column.

Thank you, Tom

Example data
  Dat1 Dat2 Dat3
1    1    5    4