On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, T.Riedle wrote:

Dear all,

I want to run a regression using coeftest() in combination with the waldtest() function from the lmtest package. I am confused about the argument vcov. The coeftest uses vcov. whereas according to the manual waldtest uses vcov and I am not sure about the difference between vcov. in coeftest() and vcov in waldtest().

In both cases this is intended to be used as "vcov = ..." by the end-user, e.g., "vcov = sandwich" etc. The reason why "vcov." rather than "vcov" was used was to avoid name confusions in pre-NAMESPACE times.

The 'trick' with vcov. (rather than vcov) could not be used in waldtest() because that always requires exact matching due to the preceeding ... argument..

If I use vcov. and vcov in the waldtest, I get different results for the F-test and the p-value. In addition, vcov. returns an error message that for numeric model specifications all values have to be >=1.

Yes, because then the specification goes into '...' rather than 'vcov' and is interpreted as a rule for model updating. This cannot work, though.

The sandwich package vignette (e.g. p. 10) uses vcov = ... as argument in the coeftest() function.

Hence, my question is which argument to use in the both functions coeftest()
and waldtest(). Shall I use vcov. in coeftest() and vcov in waldtest() or
should I use vcov in both functions?

I kindly ask for your help.

Thanks in advance.