This isn't the emacs help list...

Anyways, a less intrusive method is to start a Terminal and use ls -a.

As far as I can tell, the stock emacs on Mac actually works with a .emacs.d
directory into which you are supposed to drop .el files, rather than the
monolithic .emacs file.

I see claims that it should be possible to use emacsclient with aquamacs, which
would bypass the entire ESS install issue since aquamacs already has it, but I
cant seem to make it work here.

-pd

On 01 Mar 2017, at 18:11 , David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:28 AM, Ulrik Stervbo <ulrik.ster...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Files starting with dots are hidden files on Mac. The emacs configuration
>> file .emacs should be in your home directory. You can list all files - also
>> the hidden ones - by `ls -a` in your console. I don't use Mac so I can't
>> tell you how to show hidden files in Finder.
>
> At an open Terminal console type:
>
> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
> killall Finder
>
> The second line restarts your Finder.app so that the new settings can take
> effect. You will then have the responsibility of not deleting any of the
> system files which are now exposed, but this is how I run my machine.
>
> --
> David.
>>
>> If you still can't find the file, you might have better chances by asking
>> in some Emacs forum.
>>
>> Alternatively you can use R-studio instead of emacs/ess.
>>
>> HTH
>> Ulrik
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 at 13:12 Naresh Gurbuxani <naresh_gurbux...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I am trying to install ESS so that it can be used when EMACS is launched
>> from Mac Terminal.  After running "make" from the directory where ESS files
>> are saved, the instructions ask the following to be added to .emacs file:
>>
>> (require 'ess-site)
>>
>> But I cannot find .emacs file.
>>
>> I have already installed EMACS modified for ESS from Vincent Goulet's
>> website.  In my EMACS application, ESS is available (verified by typing M-X
>> ess-version).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Naresh
>>
>>      [[alternative HTML version deleted]]