Your  claims are false -- or at least confused.

> d <- data.frame(a = I(letters[1:3]), b = 1:3)
## the I() is to prevent automatic conversion to factor

  a b
1 a 1
2 b 2
3 c 3
> dm <- as.matrix(d)
> dm
     a   b
[1,] "a" "1"
[2,] "b" "2"
[3,] "c" "3"
> dimnames(dm)
[[1]]
NULL

[[2]]
[1] "a" "b"

## Note that there are no rownames, as d had none.
> dm <- noquote(dm)
> dm
     a b
[1,] a 1
[2,] b 2
[3,] c 3

We still need a reprex to resolve the confusion.

-- Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."