Immediately after you get that error:

Error in if (any(diff)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

what does

> traceback()

output?  (I suspect this error occurs in tools:::checkMD5sums() used
to assert that the package files are correctly downloaded).  Also,
going forward, let's try with a single package installed, e.g.
install.packages("glue").   Does that also give an error?

/Henrik