Dear Gabriele,

> On Dec 8, 2019, at 3:35 AM, gabriele pallotti <bolognareg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear John,
> thank you for your prompt reply. An inexperienced user like me tends to see
> the .Rdata folder like the document folder for other programs, and, as one
> doesn't have to delete the document folder when updating Libreoffice, tends
> to think the same for R.

The potential problem with .RData is that it's not just a file that saves the
contents of the R workspace at the end of a session, but that the saved
workspace is then loaded at the start of a subsequent session. This can create
problems (again, not just for the Rcmdr) in that subsequent session, and not
only when R is updated.

> But let me take the opportunity to express a huge thank you for your work on
> Rcmdr. For people like me, who do statistical analyses just a few times a
> year, it is a very precious resource, which can also serve as an introduction
> to command-line R. As an applied linguist with a background in semiotics, I
> would have plenty of reasons to explain why a graphic interface is such a
> good thing. As a taxpayer, I appreciate the fact that it makes us saves money
> as it allows students and researchers in the humanities, like me, to do some
> basic statistics without buying SPSS licences.
> I don't want to open a debate here on the pros and cons of graphical
> interfaces. Let me just say you're doing an excellent service to the
> community, both with your package and your replies to this forum, which shows
> you're a really kind person and deserve all our appreciation.

Thank you for your very kind remarks.

Best,
 John