sorry, I just came back.

Yes,  Abby's understanding is right.

> tem4$Var1
 [1]  1    3   4   5   6    7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20
21   22    23     24   25   31
> tem4$Freq
 [1]   1   2   5   5  10   4   4   8   1    1    8    8    2    4    3    1
2    1     1   138  149    14    1     1

I have 2000 markers, this is just one example marker, the var1 is a VNTR marker
with alleles 1, 3, 4 etc, a multi-allele marker; the corresponding frequency
for each allele is 1,2 5 etc.  I want to convert this multi-allele marker to
bi-allele markers by choosing a cutoff value; I would want the cut point to be
allele 6 with frequency of 10, so allele 1 to allele 9 are considered as
"short" allele, allele 10 to 31 as "long" allele;  then sliding to next rsing
frequency peak, allele 8 with frequency of 8, etc.

maybe those rising peaks are not really multiple modes, but I want to do this
type of data conversion.  I want to first determine the number of modes, then
convert input dat file into m different input files, then perform Cox
regression analysis for each converted file. I am stuck in the step of find out
m rise peaks.

Thank you,

Ding

   tem <- as.data.frame(t(dat[i,,drop=F]))
  names(tem)<-"V1"
  tem <- tem[which(tem$V1!=""),,drop=F]
  tem2 <-separate(tem, col=V1, into=c("m1","m2"), convert = T)
  tem3 <-gather(tem2, marker, VNTR_repeats, m1:m2)
  tem4 <-as.data.frame(t(t(table(tem3$VNTR_repeats))))[,c(1,3)]
  tem4$Var1 <-as.numeric(as.character(tem4$Var1))
  tem4 <-tem4[order(tem4$Var1),]
  m<-