Ouch.  I should have know all those points Rui: my bad.  Casual behaviour while
just rushing up a little example. Good to be reminded.

group_modify()  is clearly exactly what I wanted and I will experiment with it
and make sure I understand it properly.  I see from the help that it evolves
from, or supercedes aspects of do() which I think must have been the function I
had forgotten.  Even more interestingly I see that it seems to lead me into
interesting options and experimental developments in tidyverse that I didn't
know.

Excellent.  Perfect help ... many thanks!

Chris