On 2/08/20 5:39 am, Paul Bernal wrote:

Dear friends,

Hope you are doing great. I want to fit a logistic regression in R, where
the dependent variable is the covid status (I used 1 for covid positives,
and 0 for covid negatives), but when I ran the glm, R complains that I
should make the dependent variable a factor.

What would be more advisable, to keep the dependent variable with 1s and
0s, or code it as yes/no and then make it a factor?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated,

There have been many responses to this post, the majority of them being confusing and off the point.

BOTTOM LINE: R/glm() does *NOT* complain that one "should make the dependent variable a factor". This is bovine faecal output.

As Rui Barradas has pointed out (alternatively: RTFM!) when you fit a Bernoulli model using glm(), your response/dependent variable is allowed to be

    * a numeric variable with values 0 or 1
    * a logical variable
    * a factor with two levels

The OP presumably fed glm() a *character* vector with values "0" and "1". Doing *this* will cause glm() to whinge.

I reiterate: RTFM!!! (And perhaps learn to distinguish between character vectors and factors.)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow