No reason to apologize. It's a timely and very interesting topic that provides a glimpse into the application of statistics in forensics. I had never heard of Benford's Law before and I think it is really fascinating. One of those very counter intuitive rules that show up in statistics and probability; like the Monty Hall problem. Why in the world does Benford's Law work ?  I have been wondering if it could in any way be applied to biological data analysis. (Also, I discovered Stand-up-maths !).

   Often things are not as easy to figure out as we may first estimate. I think you would have to start with how you would envision a fraud to be committed and then figure out if there is a statistical analysis that could detect it, or develop an anlalysis. For example, if a voting machine were weighting votes and giving 8/10ths of a vote to 'yes' and 10/10ths vote to a 'no'. Is there some statistical analysis that could detect this ?  I, Or if someone dumped a couple of thousand fraudulent ballots in a vote counting center, is there some statistical analysis that could detect this ?  Who knows, maybe a whole new field waiting to be explored. A oncee-in-a-while dive into a practical application of statistics that has current interest can be fun and enlightening for those interested.

Matthew