On 01/12/2020 1:51 p.m., Dennis Weygand wrote:
 From the following lines of code on an iMac running Catalina 10.15.7

library(readxl)
fname <-  "/Volumes/SD/LabData/Lorentz/Lorentz.xlsx"

Helm <- read_excel(fname,sheet="Helmholtz")

I get the following annoying error:
Error: Evaluation error: zip file

To me this makes no sense: the file in question is not a zip file. The
excel file in question, however, is either open on excel, or recently
opened in excel.
Does anyone know about this error, and what to do about it?
I am running R version 3.5.1

The .xlsx file format is actually a zip file containing a number of XML files. I'd guess that Excel locks it when it's open, to stop two spreadsheets from opening it at once.

So the error message could be more informative, but it's probably accurately reporting the immediate problem.

Duncan Murdoch