I still do not understand. However, the general approach would be to identify a
specific value to test. If the test is TRUE then do "this" otherwise do
nothing. Once the test condition is properly identified, the coding easily
follows.

 abs() is the same as
if x<0 then x = -x   (non-R code, just idea)
The R code might look something more like
for (number in 1:ncol(x)){
   if (x[3,2] < 0) {
         x[number, number] = -x[number, number] #only change the diagonal
   }
}

Depending on what values need to be changed you may need a nested for loop to
go through all values of x[number1, number2].

Your words: " I can forcefully use a NEGATIVE sign to FLIP the index when it is
LOW." Where it appeared that "low" was defined as values that are negative. You
still will have low values (close to zero) and high values (far from zero).

You could make the condition some other value:

if x< -4 then x = -x

If you just want to rotate about zero then
x = -x
In this case the positive values will become negative and the negative values
positive.
Add an if test to selectively rotate based on the value of a single test
element in x (as in x[3,2]).

In debugging or trouble shooting setting seed is useful. For actual data
analysis you should not set seed, or possibly better yet use set.seed(NULL).

Tim