Perhaps the ragg package? That has an `agg_capture` device "that lets you access the device buffer directly from your R session." https://github.com/r-lib/ragg

HTH,
Jan

On 28-05-2023 13:46, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
Is there a way to open a graphics device that plots entirely to an array or raster in memory?  I'd prefer it to use base graphics, but grid would be fine if it makes a difference.

For an explicit example, I'd like to do the equivalent of this:

   filename <- tempfile(fileext = ".png")
   png(filename)
   plot(1:10, 1:10)
   dev.off()

   library(png)
   img <- readPNG(filename)

   unlink(filename)

which puts the desired plot into the array `img`, but I'd like to do it without needing the `png` package or the temporary file.

A possibly slightly simpler request would be to do this only for plotting text, i.e. I'd like to rasterize some text into an array.

Duncan Murdoch