Fascinating and, as ever, extremely helpful Ivan.  Duncan Murdoch nudged me in the right direction and for now
the solution for me is that if I don't have the lines:

  CE's pages "blog posts" about using R

in _site.yaml that have been there for ages, then everything works.  If I put _anything_ in there, including two lines copied and pasted from a brand new distill site instead of those two lines then the error returns so I think something else is awry in my main distill site that has rendered the knitting of the site allergic to having a description in _site.yaml.  I should probably go further to try to debug this but across this and the trouble I was having with the mirror.infomaniak.ch ubuntu mirror (R-sig-Debian thread, another you helped with, has details of that!) I have lost too much time debugging in the last week and desperately
need to get back to my main work (and work I'm more competent to do!)

Many thanks again,

Chris