Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I have recently installed the latest version of R (4.3.3) for windows. Now I
have the following problems with mutated vowels like �, �, etc. Here is an
example:
If I type the command:
Dir <- "C/Users/macho/Documents/_LVn/Experimentelle �bungen"
in the R console there is no problem. However, if I put the same command into a
source file (e.g. Test.r) and call this file from R (via the source command), I
get the following error message:

> source("C:\\Users\\macho\\Documents\\_LVn\\Experimentelle
> �bungen\\R-Scripts\\R-Dokumentation\\R_scripts zur R_Dokumentation\\Kapitel 4
> Erstellen eines Balkendiagramms\\Test.R")
Fehler: invalid multibyte character in parser
(C:\Users\macho\Documents\_LVn\Experimentelle
�bungen\R-Scripts\R-Dokumentation\R_scripts zur R_Dokumentation\Kapitel 4
Erstellen eines Balkendiagramms\Test.R:1:54

In addition, text files saved with an older version of R (using the function
write.table) containing mutated vowels are not read-in correctly by the
function read.table.
I would be glad, if someone could help me with this problem.

Kind regards,
Siegfried Macho.

PD Dr. Siegfried Macho
Psychological Department