Às 06:47 de 08/04/2024, Dave Dixon escreveu:
Greetings,

I have a csv file of 76 fields and about 4 million records. I know that some of the records have errors - unmatched quotes, specifically. Reading the file with readLines and parsing the lines with read.csv(text = ...) is really slow. I know that the first 2459465 records are good. So I try this:

 > startTime <- Sys.time()
 > first_records <- read.csv(file_name, nrows = 2459465)
 > endTime <- Sys.time()
 > cat("elapsed time = ", endTime - startTime, "\n")

elapsed time =   24.12598

 > startTime <- Sys.time()
 > second_records <- read.csv(file_name, skip = 2459465, nrows = 5)
 > endTime <- Sys.time()
 > cat("elapsed time = ", endTime - startTime, "\n")

This appears to never finish. I have been waiting over 20 minutes.

So why would (skip = 2459465, nrows = 5) take orders of magnitude longer than (nrows = 2459465) ?

Thanks!

-dave

PS: readLines(n=2459470) takes 10.42731 seconds.

Hello,

Can the following function be of help?
After reading the data setting argument quote=FALSE, call a function applying gregexpr to its character columns, then transforming the output in a two column data.frame with columns

 Col - the column processed;
 Unbalanced - the rows with unbalanced double quotes.

I am assuming the quotes are double quotes. It shouldn't be difficult to adapt it to other cas, single quotes, both cases.

unbalanced_dquotes <- function(x) {
  char_cols <- sapply(x, is.character) |> which()
  lapply(char_cols, \(i) {
    y <- x[[i]]
    Unbalanced <- gregexpr('"', y) |>
      sapply(\(x) attr(x, "match.length") |> length()) |>
      {\(x) (x %% 2L) == 1L}() |>
      which()
    data.frame(Col = i, Unbalanced = Unbalanced)
  }) |>
  do.call(rbind, args = _)
}

# read the data disregardin g quoted strings
df1 <- read.csv(fl, quote = "")
# determine which strings have unbalanced quotes and
# where
unbalanced_dquotes(df1)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

--
Este e-mail foi analisado pelo software antivírus AVG para verificar a presença
de vírus.