On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

On 28/08/2008, at 2:02 PM, James Milks wrote:

The title says it all. Does anyone know of a way to save your packages when you upgrade to a new version of R? This may seem petty, but I'm accumulating enough packages that having to download and install each of them anew every time I install a new version of R is rather of a pain. Ideally, I would like the new version of R to recognize the packages I've installed on the previous version without needing to reinstall the packages. Is that possible?

My system: Mac OS 10.5.4.
Current R version: 2.7.1

Mac OS moves in mysterious ways, but apparently your installation moves in more mysterious
ways than most.

I also (by necessity, not by choice) run Mac OS. But I certainly don't lose my packages when I update R. The new version of R certainly ``recognizes'' the packages
that I have installed.  No action required.

There may be something funny about *where* you have your packages installed, and
what environment variables you have set.

To answer your question ``Is that possible?'' --- Yes. Not just possible, but universal. Except, it would seem, in your case. What have you done
to offend the gods? :-)

Actually have had the same problem as James. By default, unless I'm mistaken, R will save installed packages within the "R.framework" framework (system-wide installation). This framework gets completely replaced when a new version is installed. In my system, the location of these packages is:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library

So unless I am mistaken you have to take some action to prevent packages from being installed there. I do hope I am wrong.

        cheers,

                Rolf Turner

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College