Try:

myStr <- "YD\\(001\\)"

In POSIX format, or in most such formats in fact, special characters like parentheses have a particular meaning, and need to be escaped if they are to have the "parenthesis" meaning. This is done typically by putting a backslash in front of them. Since however a backslash has a special meaning inside a "...", namely it is use to "escape" things, we need to escape it, hence the two backslashes you see back to back. You can use:

cat(myStr)

To see what hte string actually has in it.

A better way to solve your problem in your case is to use the original myStr you had, but change the grep call to be:

grep(myStr, headers, fixed=TRUE)

The fixed=TRUE part tells it to treat myStr as a string to be matched exactly. Of course ?grep should probably have led you to this.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College