Hello List,

I am not sure that I have the correct terminology here (restricted
bootstrap) which may be hampering my archive searches.  I have quite a large
spatially autocorrelated data set.  I have xy coordinates and the
corresponding pairwise distance matrix (metres) for each row.  I would like
to randomly sample some number of rows but restricting samples such that the
distance between them is larger than the threshold of autocorrelation.  I
have been been unsuccessfully trying to link the 'sample' function to values
in the distance matrix.

My end goal is to randomly sample M thousand rows of data N thousand times
calculating linear regression coefficients for each sample but am stuck on
taking the initial sample. I believe I can figure out the rest.

Example Question

I would like to radomly sample 3 rows further but withe the restriction that
they are greater than 100m apart

example data:
main data:

y<- c(1, 2, 9, 5, 6)
x<-c( 1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
z<-c(2, 4, 6, 8, 10)
a<-c(3, 9, 6, 4 ,4)

maindata<-cbind(y, x, z, a)

     y x x a
[1,] 1 1 1 3
[2,] 2 3 3 9
[3,] 9 5 5 6
[4,] 5 7 7 4
[5,] 6 9 9 4

distance matrix:
row1<-c(0, 123, 567, 89)
row2<-c(98, 0, 345, 543)
row3<-c(765, 90, 0, 987)
row4<-c(654, 8, 99, 0)

dist<-rbind(row1, row2, row3, row4)

row1    0  123  567   89
row2   98    0  345  543
row3  765   90    0  987
row4  654    8   99    0

Thanks for all of the help in the past and now

Cheers
Grant