Hello,

I'm using aov() to analyse changes in brain volume between males and
females. For every subject (there are 331 in total) I have 8 volume
measurements (4 different brain lobes and 2 different tissues
(grey/white matter)). The data looks like this:

Subject Sex     Lobe    Tissue  Volume
subect1 1       F       g       262374
subect1 1       F       w       173758
subect1 1       O       g       67155
subect1 1       O       w       30067
subect1 1       P       g       117981
subect1 1       P       w       85441
subect1 1       T       g       185241
subect1 1       T       w       83183
subect2 1       F       g       255309
subect2 1       F       w       164335
subect2 1       O       g       71769
subect2 1       O       w       31879
subect2 1       P       g       120518
subect2 1       P       w       90334
subect2 1       T       g       168413
subect2 1       T       w       75790
subect3 0       F       g       243621
subect3 0       F       w       167025
subect3 0       O       g       65998
subect3 0       O       w       29758
subect3 0       P       g       118026
subect3 0       P       w       91903
subect3 0       T       g       156279
subect3 0       T       w       82349

I'm trying to see if there is an interaction Sex*Lobe*Tissue. This is
the command I use with aov():
       mod1<-aov(Volume~Sex*Lobe*Tissue+Error(Subject/(Lobe*Tissue)),data.vslt)

Subject is a random effect, Sex, Lobe and Tissue are fixed effects;
Sex is an outer factor (between subjects), and Lobe and Tissue are
inner factors (within-subjects); and there is indeed a significant
3-way interaction.

I was told, however, that the results reported by aov() may depend on
the order of the factors
(type I anova), and that is better to use lme() or lmer() with type
II, but I'm struggling to find the right syntaxis...

To begin, how should I write the model using lme() or lmer()??

I tried this with lme():

gvslt<-groupedData(Volume~1|Subject,outer=~Val,inner=list(~Lobe,~Tissue),data=vslt)
        mod2<-lme(Volume~Val*Lobe*Tissue,random=~1|Subject,data=gvslt)

but I have interaction terms for every level of Lobe and Tissue, and 8
times the number of DF I should have... (around 331*8 instead of
~331).

Using lmer(), the specification of Subject as a random effect is
straightforward:

        mod2<-lmer(Volume~Sex*Lobe*Tissue+(1|Subject),data.vslt)

but I can't figure out the /(Lobe*Tissue) part...

Thank you very much in advance!
roberto