Dear all,

If I have a data frame  x<-data.frame(x1=c(1,7),x2=c(4,6),x3=c(8,2)):
   x1  x2  x3
   1     4  8
   7     6  2

I want to sort the whole data and get this:
x1 1
x3  2
x2  4
x2  6
x1   7
x3   8

 If I do sort(X), R reports:
Error in order(list(x1 = c(1, 7), x2 = c(4, 6), x3 = c(8, 2)), decreasing =
FALSE) :
  unimplemented type 'list' in 'orderVector1'

The only way I can sort all the data is by converting it to a matrix:
> sort(as.matrix(x))
[1] 1 2 4 6 7 8

But now I lost all the names attributes.

Is it possible to sort a data frame and keep all the names?

Thanks!

Zhihua Li