On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Erin Hodgess wrote:

Hi R People:

I am looking at the Braun/Murdoch book, " A First Course in
Statistical Programming in R", and I have a question about a function
there.  It's on page 52, Example 4.5; the sieve of Erastosthenes.

There is a line:
primes <- c()

Is there a difference between using that and
primes <- NULL
please?

When you put in primes <- c(), primes comes back as NULL.

Is one more efficient or is this just a matter of programming style, please?

What would be more efficient is primes <- integer(0) (as it looks like 'primes' concatenates integer vectors, at a quick glance).

Use a function call c() to get NULL is not efficient, but all the differences here are tiny.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Erin

--
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor

Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]