Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
dependencies = NA is only identical to dependencies = FALSE if
  .libPaths()
has multiple components.  If it has a single component then its the
same as dependencies = c("Depends", "Imports").   Read the
dependencies= entry on the ?install.packages page.  Also read
?.libPaths

Ok, ran .libPaths() and got:

> .libPaths()
[1] "C:/R-2.7.0/library"

That, as I understand the notes, is a valid path entry of > 1 character. What am I missing about this? I already know, using the install.packages example below, that explicitly stating dep = TRUE sends R off on a hunt for the dependencies of a particular package during installation. What I would like to know and understand is whether that is the only way to do so since dep = TRUE has been turned off for the Install package(s) menu option or is there a 'tweak' of the menu possible to turn the ability back on without having to recompile the whole blessed program??