Not tested, but for data.frame 'df', try

df$coal <- ifelse(!is.na(df$Name.x), df$Name.x, df$Name.y)

But see the help page for 'ifelse' regarding issues with classes, and the myriad R-help posts on the 'ifelse' function.

Erik

Ivan Alves wrote:
Dear all,

I searched the mail archives and the R site and found no guidance (tried "merge", "cbind" and terms like "coalesce" with no success). There surely is a way to coalesce (like in SQL) columns in a dataframe, right? For example, I would like to go from a dataframe with two columns to one with only one as follows:

From

Name.x Name.y
nx1 ny1
nx2 NA
NA ny3
NA NA

Name
nx1
nx2
ny3
NA

where column Name.x is taken if there is a value, and if not then column Name.y

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards,
Ivan