Tom,

I don't know if there are better ways, but this is the way I do:

I use Python for building the AB model, and RPy as an interface to R for statistical analysis. One of the best package for SNA in R is igraph, which has a nice Python version. But if you prefere statnet (which is great too), you can simply handle it via RPy.

I've learned this strategy from Pietro Terna - http://web.econ.unito.it/terna/

hope it helps,
Simone Gabbriellini