Dear list,
I have to draw a simple plot. On y axe some numerical values that correspond
to various categories on axe x.
The table I am reading looks like:

cat Obj1 Obj2 Obj3
max 23 27 34
ave 21 25 32
min 19 23 30

In order to avoid that the first column is reordered alphabetically I used:
(found here http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/06/09/33808.html)

a <- as.character(table$cat)
table$cat = factor(a, levels=a)

However if I use plot() I get thick lines instead of points because of the
reason explained in the link above. If I use plot.default() I get number on
the x axe instead of the name of the categories.

1) first question: any solution?

An alternative could be to use plot.default() and then to change the value
on the axe.

2) second question: how to chnage the value of the axes? not the label, but
the values themself?

Thank you very much in advance

Laura