At 16:52 07.11.2008, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

Heinz Tuechler wrote:
Dear Prof.Ripley!

Thank you very much for your attention. In the given example Encoding(),
or the encoding parameter of read.csv solve the problem. I hope your
patch will solve also the problem, when I read a spss file by
spss.get(), since this function has no encoding parameter and my real
problem originated there.

read.spss() (package foreign) does have a reencode argument, though; and
this is called by spss.get(), so it looks like an easy hack to add it
there.

Yes, older software like spss.get needs to get updated for the internationalization age. Modifying it to have a ... argument passed to read.spss would be a good idea (and future-proofing).

In cases like this it is likely that the SPSS file does contain its encoding (although sometimes it does not and occasionally it is wrong), so it is helpful to make use of the info if it is there. However, the default is read.spss(reencode=NA) because of the problems of assuming that the info is correct when it is not are worse.

The cause, why I tried the example below was to solve the encoding by dumping and then re-sourcing a data.frame with the encoding parameter set to latin1. As you can see, source(x, encoding='latin1') does not have the effect I expected. Unfortunately I do not have any idea, what I understood wrong regarding the meaning of encoding='latin1'.

Heinz Tüchler

us <- c("a", "b", "c", "ä", "ö", "ü")
Encoding(us)
[1] "unknown" "unknown" "unknown" "latin1"  "latin1"  "latin1"
dump('us', 'us_dump.txt')
rm(us)
source('us_dump.txt', encoding='latin1')
us
Encoding(us)
[1] "unknown" "unknown" "unknown" "unknown" "unknown" "unknown"
unlink('us_dump.txt')

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]