Yes, using panel.xYplot is the best thing to do. I couldn't get it to work, which probably means I was specifying it incorrectly. I would be very happy if someone had an example of how to do it.

Thanks again -- John

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
John Poulsen wrote:
Hello R-Users,

I am trying to label points on an xYplot. I can label the points, but then I lose the error bars. I suspect that I should be using panel.xYplot rather than panel.xyplot, but that didn't work either...

Can anybody help me out? Example code is below. First xYplot has error bars, second tries to label the points and the bars disappear.

Thanks,
John

a=c(1:4)
b=rnorm(4,15,5)
blab=b+1

xYplot(Cbind(b, b-1.5, b+1.5)~a,
       ylim=c(0,max(b)+3))

xYplot(Cbind(b, b-1.5, b+1.5)~a, ylim=c(0,max(b)+3),
       panel=function(x,y,...){
         panel.xyplot(x,y,...)
         ltext(x=list(1,2,3,4),
               y=list(13,14,15,16),
               labels=list("A","B","C","D"), pos=2)})

One of the purposes of xYplot is to use panel.xYplot
Frank