> I should have been clearer, sorry-- I'm trying to exit from an "inner"
> function which might be several levels deep, returning straight to the R
> prompt. To be specific, I'm trying to clean up the "No Error in..." message
> in my 'debug' package-- the "No " prefix being my original workaround to
> avoid an unnecessarily alarming message.

Ah, ok.  How about signalling custom condition then?

f <- function() {
  print("a")
  g()
  print("d")
}

g <- function() {
  print("b")
  error <- simpleError("")
  class(error) <- c("myerror", class(error))
  signalCondition(error)
  print("c")
}

f()
tryCatch(f(), myerror = function(...) print("stopped!"))

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/