On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, PDXRugger wrote:

I am still searching for a solution to what i think is a simple problem i am
having with building a vector in a for loop.  I have built a more
understandable example so hopefully that will help..help you, help me, if
you know what i mean.

dev=400
#test location model TAZs to reference
cands=c(101,105,109)

#Create Object of length of cands
candslength=length(cands)

#TEST TAZ Vector
CANDS=(100:110)

#Test Dev Vector
TAZDEVS=c(120,220,320,420,520,620,720,820,920,1020,1120)

#Creates datframe of CANDS and DEVS
TAZLIST=data.frame(CANDS,TAZDEVS)

for(i in 1:candslength){

        cand=cands[i]

        #Creates an object based on the value of "cands" in TAZLIST
        TAZDet=TAZLIST[TAZLIST$CANDS==cand[i],2]

        }

What i would like to see is TAZDet filled with the "cands" corresponding
values found in "TAZLIST"'s second column TAZDEVS, they would be
120,520,920.

No.

        101 is the second element of CANDS
        220 is the second element of TAZDEVS

So, 120 is not 'corresponding' in any sense I know of. et cetera.

 So if things worked the way i would like them TAZDet would be
a vector containing these three values (102,520,920).  At this point it
gives me NAs.

Which happens because you have an obvious bug. What is

        TAZLIST$CANDS==cand[3]
??

Any help would be desirable, Thanks guys and gals.

Is this what you seek?

        with(TAZLIST,TAZDEVS[match(cands,CANDS)])

HTH,

Chuck

Cheers,
JR

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  UC San Diego