Hi Alex,

you can have R execute OS commands using system(), perhaps you can call pdfmerge that way.

Or (admittedly less elegantly), you can use LaTeX with the pdfpages package, either using Sweave or system(pdflatex ...).

Good luck,
Stephan

Alex Pine schrieb:
Hello all,

My question has to do with writing to pdf/ps files. Currently, my R program
requires 100+ pdf devices to be open, which is over the limit of 64 devices
that can be open at the same time, causing R to throw an exception. My
problem could be solved if I could append to a pdf file after its initial
device has been closed, but so far I haven't been able to figure out a way
to do that. If one calls pdf(file="myfile"), and "myfile" already exists, it
will be overwritten. Is there any way that I can make the pdf() function
append to the existing file instead? And if not, is there any way to call a
program like pdfmerge ( http://microtronyx.com/pdfmerge/ ) from inside R
code? I know I could simply write to a different pdf file every time I would
otherwise do an append and then merge those files once my R program has
completed, but in my case that would lead to the creation of literally
thousands of pdf files before I merged them all together, and I would like
to avoid that if possible.

Thank you for any help you can give,

Alex