On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Mike Prager wrote:

I hope to use the plotmath facility to print titles that mix
math and values of R variables.

The help for "plotmath" has an example, which after repeated
reading, I find baffling. Likewise, I have read the help file
for "substitute" (wqhich seems to be needed) without ever
understanding what it does, other than being used in some magic
incantations.

I would like to do something like this:

    dev.new()
    aa <- round(pi,2)
    plot(1:3, 1:3, main = ~ a == aa)

It has another example, too, along these lines:

         plot(1:3, 1:3, main = bquote(a == .(aa)))

You have to follow a couple of 'See Also' links from the plothmath page to get to

        ?bquote

HTH,

Chuck

and have the main title read "a = 3.14"

but of course it reads "a = aa".

From a user's point of view -- one who has never written a
parser nor taken a course in compilers -- what is needed is the
nonexistent function "value" usable in plotmath expressions to
produce the value of its argument, as

    plot(1:3, 1:3, main = ~ a == value(aa))

How can this be done?

THANKS!