Greg, others,

    Thanks for the info!  I suspect you are right, Greg.

    The main issue, as Sundar Dorai-Raj (who posts here at times) told me in
person and you say indirectly below, is that the "levelplot" function
returns an object and not a graph.  I didn't really know what that *meant*,
even though I'd read it, until he explained it to me.  In short, it means
that if you want levelplot to plot as usual, you need to wrap it in a print
statement (same as you're saying below).  I think this is hidden somewhere
in the FAQ's, but it still isn't obvious and it'd be great if this were
added directly in the ?levelplot help menu.  I'd originally assumed that
when something returned an object, it could simultaneously return both a
plot *and* an object.  Similar to how a "try" can return the evaluated
expression *and* the error code (being no error if the expression
evaluated).  This is not true, I guess.
    Once I did this print function wrap, all of the "dev.off()" calls worked
fine, and I never had anything weird happen when I'd attempted to comment
out a line.  Therefore, I suspect what you write below is correct.
Probably, since the levelplot call was "dangling", it saw the "#" on the
next line as a continuation of the levelplot, and this is why even when the
"dev.off()" was commented, it was messing things up.  I am not 100% sure,
but in the end, between you, Jim, and Sundar *I figured out all the problems
*.

                       Thanks to all!
                               Mike

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Greg Snow <greg.s...@imail.org> wrote:

> I suspect that the graph not printing when the if statement follows the
> command (even commented out), may be faq 7.22, you are making the R parser
> guess at what you want and sometimes it guesses correctly, and sometimes
> not.  If you wrap your call to levelplot in a print function call, then R
> does not need to guess (this is good practice in any loops/scripts, even if
> it does not fix your problem).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
> Statistical Data Center
> Intermountain Healthcare
> greg.s...@imail.org
> 801.408.8111

The official inflation rate in Zimbabwe has soared to about 231 million
percent while thousands of Zimbabweans stand in line for their daily
allowance of about 2 cents a day -- from their own bank accounts. The
allowance does not afford them a half loaf of bread.