On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Sake wrote:

Hi,

I'm heaving difficulties with a dataset containing gene names and positions
of those genes.
Not such a big problem, but each gene has multiple exons so it's hard to say
where de gene starts and where it ends. I want the starting and ending
position of each gene in my dataset.

This looks like a minor variant on the 'first and last observation' thread from a few days ago:

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/135411

to which several useful solutions were posted.

I suggest you read that thread and try to adapt what is there to your situation.

If this does not get you all the way there, when you post back it will help to "provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code".

What you have given us is not quite there.

Here is a start:

 data <-

read.csv("http://www.nabble.com/file/p21312449/genlistchrompos.csv",sep=';')

and note that

colnames(data)
 [1] "Query"             "Gene"              "Chrom"             "Strand"
"Accession"
 [6] "Exon"              "Exon_Start.Chr."   "Exon_Stop.Chr."    "Exon_Start.Trans."
"Exon_Stop.Trans."

does not include anything like "Column 'B'", so refer to those column names if you need further help after studying the thread above.

HTH,

Chuck

Attached is the dataset:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21312449/genlistchrompos.csv genlistchrompos.csv
Column 'B' is the gene name, 'G' is the starting position and 'H' is the
stop position.
You can load the dataset by using: data<-read.csv("genlistchrompos.csv",
sep=";")
I hope someone can help me, it's giving me headaches for a week now:-((.

Thanks!

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego