Nit-picking about syntax does seem needed, mea culpa,  I
intended something more like:

        Qn <- ecqf(x)
        Qn(runif(whatever))

On Jan 6, 2009, at 5:06 PM, roger koenker wrote:

Sure, but it would be more 'fun' to modify ecdf() slightly to produce
an ecqf() function -- essentially reversing the arguments to approxfun()--
and then use

        ecqf(runif(whatever))

no nit-picking about efficiency, please.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoen...@uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820