Gundala --

Gundala Viswanath wrote:
Dear all,

Does R has any function/package that can pack
and unpack string into bit size?

All of your questions relate to DNA strings. The R/Bioconductor package Biostrings is designed to manipulate such objects. It does not necessarily address this particular problem (because in general DNA strings contain any of the 16 IUPAC symbols and hence compression becomes less compelling, and as you indicate even with compression the size of the data means that one might often need to process parts of the data at a time), but may provide useful containers and methods that make such issues less important.

> source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R')
> biocLite('Biostrings')
> library('Biostrings')

see also the vignettes for the package, available within R or for example at

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/Biostrings.html

It seems that you have data suitable for representation as a DNAStringSet.

The package is actively developed, and using the 'devel' version of R (and hence 'devel' version of Biostrings) might provide additional important facilities. If this proves useful then follow-up questions should use the Bioconductor mailing lists

http://bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html

Martin

The reason I want to do this in R is that R
has much more native statistical function than Perl.

Yet the data I need to process is so large that it
required me to compress it into smaller unit -> process it -> finally
recover them back again into string with new information.

In Perl the implementation will look like this:
I wonder how can this be implemented in R.

__BEGIN__
my %charmap = (
    A => '00',
    C => '01',
    G => '10',
    T => '11',
);

my %digmap = (
    '00'    => "A",
    '01'    => "C",
    '10'    => "G",
    '11'    => "T",
);

my $string = 'GATTA';
$string =~ s/(.)/$charmap{$1}/ge;

my $compressed = pack 'b*', $string;

print "COMP: $compressed\n";
printf "%d bytes\n", length $compressed;

my @data;

# Store the compressed bit into array
push @data, $compressed;

# process the array