I am creating a CDF plot function more user-friendly than any default r
function.  Depending upon the bimodality of the data (it is often bimodal),
or any other strange data trends, the points can end up gathering in just
about any corner of the plot.  So, when I add a legend, whether I choose to
add it in the bottom right, top left, or wherever, it will sometimes end up
putting the legend right on the data itself.  So, I tried to force the
legend to certain data values (e.g., the largest in x & the smallest in y,
to "really" get the bottom right), but then this means most of the legend is
missing because it is outside of the "plot region".
    How can I create a legend that is fully outside of the plot, similar to
what excel does by default, for example?

                                                  Thanks!
                                                      Mike