How is function() not the correct approach?

> plot_lines <- function(x, ...) plot(x,  type="l", ...)
>
> plot_lines(1:10, xlim = c(1,5))

> plot_lines(1:10, 11:20, xlim = c(1,5))

Still seems to get the unnamed optional y argument to the plotting machinery.

--
David Winsemius

On Jan 15, 2009, at 4:25 PM, nosek wrote:

Hello,

in a desperate desire of using partial function application in R I fried out
the following piece of code:

bind <- function( f, ... ) {
 args <- list(...)
 function(...) f( ..., unlist(args) )
}

Its purpose, if not clear, is to return a function with part of its
arguments bound to specific values, so that I can for example create and use
functions like this:
q1 <- bind( quantile, 0.25 )
lapply( some_list, q1 )

It's been a lot of work and unfortunately is not perfect. My bind applies arguments only using positional rule. What I dream of is a function bind2
that would apply keyword arguments, like:
plot_lines <- bind2( plot, type="l" )
which would return
function(...) plot( type="l", ... )

How to do this in R?