My bad.  I used system("test -r blah") to see if a file was readable,
forgetting that not all Windows installations have the "test" program (from
Cygwin) installed.  I've changed this to use the R function file.access() in
version 2.5, which I've just submitted to CRAN.  The Windows binary should be
available from there in a day or two.

Jeff

Jeff