Simply doing a tabulation and isolating the cases with only one entry might have been a possibility if the count discrepancy weren't so high. It appears you have a greater degree of corruption than would be expected just from "typos".

Have you looked at the packages referenced at:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/NaturalLanguageProcessing.html

The Soundex algorithm is an old programming chestnut which I have seen implemented in R, but I understand there are improved versions. How well they perform on persons' names may depend strongly on cultural origins of your population.

--
David Winsemius