Hi Stephan,

Does the foreign package help?

HTH,
(another) Stephan

Stephan Lindner schrieb:
Dear all,

I was wondering whether anyone knows about a program which converts
(part of) a data definition file (such as a .dct file for stata, or
.sas file for sas) into an R-script.

Here is an example with a .sas file: <-- snipp
VALUE HTYPE     (default=32)
0 = "Not in household" 1 = "Married couple family household" 2 = "Male householder family" 3 = "Female householder family" 4 = "Male householder nonfamily" 5 = "Female householder nonfamily" 6 = "Group quarters" ;

snapp -->

This entry defines the variable HTYPE as a factor and assigns levels
and labels. Ideally, it would be transformed into the following entry
in R:

data.frame$HTYPE <- factor(data.frame$HTYPE,
        levels=c(0,1,2,3,4,5,6),
labels=c("Not in household", "Married couple family household", "Male householder family", "Female householder family", "Male householder nonfamily", "Female householder nonfamily", "Group quarters"
                )
        )

Of course, this can be done by hand and isn't too bad with a good text
editor. The reason why I am looking for a program is because I have a
bunch of datasets (about 100) and there are about 200 variables defined
per dataset. My goal is to provide R-scripts for these datasets such
that the data files can be read in with R, making them accessible for
R users.

Thanks!

        Stephan