Greg Snow schrieb:
I don't see right off why the one works and the other doesn't, but this looks
like one of those cases that would be better done using a list rather than
global variables.

Instead of assigning the variables in the global workspace, create a list and
assign them there.  Then you can use lapply instead of a loop and you avoid the
potential pitfalls associated with globals.

Hope this helps,

Greg,

thanks for the answer. The difference is, that in the first case I assign a value to a "string", but afterwards I want to read the value of the "string".

Trying to get it with lists.

Cheers,
Thomas