James Nicolson wrote:
To All,

I'm using R 2.8.1. I have attached two images, one shows what I get and
the other shows what I want. All I want is the plotting region. Surely
there must be a way of plotting individual regions/components in R?

Patrizio, I prefer filled.contour() for my data. I still have the same
problem (a legend to the right) if I use image() then contour()!

I don't see why you'd get a legend in that case. But it's hard to get the contour lines to match the colour changes when using image with contour, so I can see why you might prefer filled.contour.

I think you're going to have to edit filled.contour to do what you want. It's not too hard: just comment out the code that sets up the layout, then everything until just before the second plot.new(). Insert par(mar=c(0,0,0,0)), and you'll get a filled contour plot with no margins.

Duncan Murdoch
Regards,
James

ps. No need for apologies Simon :D I'm grateful for any assistance
fruitless or not.

Patrizio Frederic wrote:
James,
as I previously told you in my broken  English, probably the function
you're looking for is not filled.contour but image and contour
The following code makes exactly what you ask for

data(akima)
akima
akima.smooth <-
 with(akima, interp(x, y, z, xo=seq(0,25, length=500),
                    yo=seq(0,20, length=500)))
op <- par(ann=FALSE, mai=c(0,0,0,0))
image  (akima.smooth, main = "interp(<akima data>, *) on finer grid")
contour(akima.smooth, add = TRUE,drawlabels=F)

cheers

Patrizio