Hi,

In my analysis of impacts of insecticide-treated bednets on malaria, I
look at the relationship between malaria incidence and mosquito
behaviors. The condensed data set is copied here. Ordinary regression
(lm) shows that Incidence was negatively related to Mortality. This
makes sense because the latter reflected the strength of killing
mosquitoes by insecticide-treated nets. Since the original data set has
a complex structure with more parameters and scenarios. I guess a tree
model would help explore the structure of the data.  However, regression
tree (rpart(Incidence~Mortality+Deterrence)) indicates that Mortality
was positively related to Incidence.

How this unintuitive result? Advice is appreciated.

Weidong Gu,
Department of Medicine
University of Alabama, Birmingham

Deterrence      Mortality       Incidence
0.695   0.51    66
0.255   0.501   48
0.612   0.483   55
0.209   0.158   47